Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Introduction

I had big plans for the first post, some profound, thoughtful statement that would launch Res Publica Belli and be a significant contribution to human knowledge.  I was coming up short on that account, so I figured I should just lay out a few things about myself and the blog in general.
  1. The blog has been founded to cover a range of topics, but all focused primarily around a core of international security issues. In fairness, that could include everything from political violence to climate change, but RPB will be most concerned with topics such as counterterrorism, counterinsurgency, grand strategy, and defense policy.  These constitute my primary interests, and my areas of specialty, but the beauty of a blog is the ability to occasionally stray into topics of limited knowledge but big opinions. I reserve the right to do so, and consider this a fair warning.
  2. Bona fides: I have a graduate degree in international security with a specialty in counterterrorism and counterinsurgency, and currently work in the defense industry in Washington, DC.  I've chosen to hide behind a Latinate pseudonym (for anyone wondering, I chose Stilicho because it seemed to fit the theme of the blog and I've been interested in the man since reading about him as a kid), and will remain there for the foreseeable future. Cowardly, I know, but for the moment it seems the best way to be able to air my opinions without worrying about folks at work or in the general public. Oh, and I don't know much Latin, just thought the title seemed to fit--and had the added bonus of being a bit of play off of the big guns over at Kings of War, so apologies to any classicists I've insulted (and feel free to suggest revision).
  3. I'm not sure what the readership of the blog will be, but I'm hoping that if you do stop by that you'll comment. There's something to be said for screaming opinions into the great void, but the true awesomeness of a blog is the conversation that they can spark.  If I just loved to read my own writing--don't get me wrong, I'm vain enough to enjoy it from time to time--I'd keep a diary rather than a blog.
Hopefully this cleared somethings up about the purpose of the blog and yours truly.  I apologize in advance for any offense caused or mistakes I make, and I look forward to our future conversations.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings, Stilicho, and welcome to the blogosphere (even if I'm a couple weeks late to the party here). Good luck in this endeavor and I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete